(And get you to stick to your goals)
Now that you’ve had a look back at 2018 – it’s time to look forward.
During an inspiration session, when I ask where you want to be in 5 years – it’s relatively easy. No pressure. We have lots of time to achieve even the most elaborate plans.
But when it’s the beginning of January and we’re trying to decide what we’re going to achieve by the end of the year … it can be a little more daunting.
Okay – say we have a goal. But before we can get started on that goal – there are things to plan, things to learn, things to prepare, fears to squash… Do you know the cycle? Thinking too much, changing your mind, doubting yourself, getting distracted, becoming afraid, getting distracted, letting it drift to the bottom of the pile…
Time can disappear so quickly while we negotiate with ourselves.
After all – it’s only January…or February….and 12 months can become 9, or 10, or never.
What can we do instead?
- Make a commitment to the change you want to make: Write it down. Tell people.
- Choose a goal that inspires you: How on earth are you going to see it through when it doesn’t really motivate you? (Remember that inspiration every time you want to put it off or change your mind. NB I don’t mean pivoting as you adjust to the discoveries you’ll make as you roll out your plans).
- Feel it. How will you feel when you’ve reached your goal?
- Remind yourself often. Every morning and in between. (My goals are the wallpaper on my phone). Where will you see your goals often?
- Remove distractions (at least most of them). I talked about it in last week’s blog…suggestions about putting structure in place. What happens when, despite the elegance of your structure and your plans… you just stop focusing on it? We all know that we can lose focus – even with the best of intentions… so here is the 4th ingredient:
- Accountability: This is one reason Masterminds are so important. Why? Because they can be the difference between hoping and getting it done. When you have to report what you’ve accomplished to your coach and peer mentors, you’re more inclined to stick with it… (even if you are getting it done the night before you meet).It’s the safety net that helps us keep on going – even if we have competing priorities.
- Finally – the simplest most complicated idea in the world. Just do it.
Take one step, then another one. And keep going.
What are your goals this year? What you would add to this list? Leave us a comment.
Latest posts by Patricia Dent (see all)
- Are you interested in fast-tracking your global business growth? - March 7, 2019
- A wonderful celebration for women – Congratulations Donna & Sarah! - March 7, 2019
- Women Entrepreneurs Breaking the Mold Event Invitation - March 1, 2019