POLICE ALLEGE THE SUSPECT POINTED A REVOLVER-STYLE FIREARM AT THE DRIVER OF A RIDE-SHARING SERVICE
Courtesy of Barrie360.com Ian MacLennanPublished: Jul 28th, 2023
A 40-year-old Barrie man has been charged after police responded to a weapons call at Georgian Mall just before eight on Thursday evening.
Barrie Police say they were provided with a detailed description of a man they allege pointed a revolver-style handgun at the driver of a ride-sharing service. Within minutes of the call, the suspect was located at a store in the mall and arrested.
“Police have determined that this isolated incident focused on the return of some property that was found in the ride-share car and an attempt by the driver to return it to the rightful owner. Unfortunately, the good intentions of the driver were met with an accusation of theft and concluded when the accused removed a large handgun from a bag and pointed it in a threatening manner at the driver,” according to a police news release on Friday.
Authorities say the gun is a paintball-style revolver that was modified to carry ammunition capable of causing serious injury or death.
The man has been charged with:
- Assault with a Weapon
- Pointing a Firearm
- Utter Threats – Cause Death or Bodily Harm
- Carry Concealed Weapon
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose.
The accused remains in custody and is being held for a bail hearing that is expected to take place Friday afternoon.
- 2024 Women In Business Awards Finalists Announced - February 16, 2024
- Family Day: 1)11 Things To Do On Family Day Without Leaving The House; 2) Family Day Activities: What’s Happening In Barrie & Area 3) What Is Open And Closed On Family Day - February 16, 2024
- Ontario Projecting $4.5B Deficit This Year In Third-Quarter Finances - February 16, 2024