“The Official Plan is, in many ways, the most important document at the city,” says Mayor Jeff Lehman. “It is the plan that decides what goes where, as Barrie grows, and even as it changes in existing urban areas. The most important page of what is a 200-page draft document is the map, the one big map all in different colours, that says this is for manufacturing, this is for light industry, this is for shopping, this is for high rise, residential, low rise, parks, everything.”
Barrie’s population is expected to double to 298,000 people by the year 2051. Built on input from residents, businesses and City Council, the new Official Plan will provide a roadmap to Barrie’s future and will direct how and where Barrie will grow over the next 30 years.
“We encourage residents to look at this next draft of the Plan and share their comments—we want to ensure we get this right,” says Michelle Banfield, RPP, Director of Development Services. “Look at your neighbourhood, your favourite city spaces, your transportation routes, and then look at the draft Official Plan and see if the policy structure matches your vision for our city.”
Here’s how residents can get involved:
- Open House (virtual) was held on May 19, 4 to 8 p.m.
- Fhe purpose of the virtual Open House is to present the draft new Official Plan to the public and give an opportunity to ask questions. STAFF PRESENTATION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbEUsPwN8Ig&t=12s
- Public Meeting (virtual) on June 2 at 6 p.m.
The second draft of the new Official Plan will be presented to the Planning Committee. Members of the public can make comments. If you wish to provide comments at the meeting, register in advance by emailing email@example.com or calling 705-739-4220 x5500 before June
How to submit feedback:
- By email
Submit your comments in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 2. Please include your name, contact information and full address.
- By mail
Submit your comments in writing by mail to the Development Services Department, City of Barrie, City Hall, 70 Collier Street, P.O. Box 400, Barrie, ON, L4M 4T5.
All comments must be submitted in writing by June 2, 2021, or can be made verbally at the Public Meeting. After the public consultation is complete, staff will make any necessary updates to the document and prepare the new Official Plan for release this fall.
- We’re starting a Mastermind Group in October (for 6 or 12 months) - September 18, 2021
- What are your biggest challenges and needs right now? - September 17, 2021
- Economic Letter from BDC - September 17, 2021